The Kenya Association of Manufacturers (KAM), where Kenya Flower Council is a member, today hosted a sensitization seminar for manufacturers on February 25, 2015 aimed at bringing members up to speed on changes in Immigration requirements for various applications and to raise awareness on immigration processes.
Addressing KAM members in Nairobi, the Director General of Immigration, Major General (Rtd) Gordon Kihalangwa spoke of transparency measures that have recently been undertaken at the department saying
“Immigration does not favor or show prejudice when issuing work permits, citizenship or permanent residency,” he said
He added that Immigration details are everywhere and any unethical conduct should be communicated. In case of delays in issuing work permits, the Director requested that members apply for special permits.
This year there has been an effort to minimize the back log on citizenship applications and it now takes 3 to 5 days to renew a passport and 10 days to get a new passport. 800 passports are processed in Nairobi while 80 are processed in Mombasa and 80 in Kisumu daily and 350 permits are issued weekly at a cost of 22,000/- per permit.
New developments included a centralized and cashless payment system, and the department is in the process of procuring an e-passports and an e-visa system.
The immigration team will communicate if there are any delays in issuance of work permits, permanent residency and citizenship as they hold weekly meetings for approval. If work permits applied 3 weeks prior to expiry, it will take 2 months to process. KAM will look into the possibility of expanding the partnership with Immigration going forward.
Last year, the following changes were made at the immigration department.
- Effective 3rd November 2014 all processed immigration papers i.e. Notification of work permit approvals, deferral notes, rejections and special passes will be dispatched through postal box address. Members should therefore give correct addresses in their applications.
- New Immigration check list form needs to be signed – When submitting work permit/special pass/ pupils pass/Dependents pass applications, the person submitting application will be required to sign the check list, produce an original ID card / passport and submit a copy of the identification documents.
- For class G permits (investor permits), the application should have a separate list of Kenyans already employed (in case of renewal).
- For class D / employment permit – Provision for understudy details should include certified copies of academic certificates & full contacts – Address, email and cell phone number.
- Copies of passport – to show current immigration status if in the country.
- Reminder – application for permit renewal should be submitted to immigration two months prior to expiry of the permit.